I’m starting my third week in Offensive Security’s Penetration Testing with Kali Linux (PWK) course, which means it’s time for a quick look at how my second week went.
I’m still working through the exercises and should wrap up chapter 13 tonight. Here’s a pretty chart thing:
And here’s a look at what I accomplished each of those days:
- Chapter 8 exercises. Reminder: The “\” character is important when working with hex characters. Leaving them out can break scripts :p.
- Re-read chapter 9, completed exercises. Learned quite a bit about pointer math and proper exploit modification.
- Reading, videos, and exercises for chapters 10 and 11.
- Reading, videos, and exercises for chapter 12.
- Partial reading, videos, exercises for first half of chapter 13.
- More work on chapter 13 exercises.
As you can see I ran into a bit of a brick wall with Chapter 13. I knew going into the course that web application testing would be one of my weak spots as I just don’t have much experience with it, and it shows. I have probably learned the most from that section though, thankfully, and should wrap up the last portion of it tonight. My goal is to complete the exercises this week, then start digging into the lab machines with the time I have remaining.
So far my total time commitment is 29.5 hours, with 15.5 of those coming in week 1 and 14 in week 2.